Sunday, September 11, 2011

Who were you when the world stopped turning....

On this September day 10 years ago I was Amber Kinney. A fiance to my future husband, a college student and a full time receptionist. Brad was a concrete laborer, a fiance, and a young twenty something man, we both were still very young in our minds living as grown up as we knew how. Then this day came and the world as we knew it changed....
I was sitting in the living room of our trailer watching Good Morning America running a tad bit late for work, as the first plane struck the first tower. I watched in awe as I wasn't sure I had even heard of the World Trade Center and did not at that moment fully grasp what it was. Sounds silly and very ignorant, I know, but I watched and thought, 'Wow, that is really bad that building is going to be ruined.' Then I watched a bit more and really was trying to grasp what had gone on and I quickly headed out the door for the drive to work. I got to just the edge of Marion and my Dad called asking if I had seen what happened and I said, 'yes' he proceeded to tell me another plane hit the second tower. I was feeling so grown yet so immature and I remember saying, 'wow Dad that is really bad those buildings are going to need a lot of repairs.' Dad's voice broke and he said to me, 'honey those buildings are full of people.' Silence fell......I really did not grasp that when I first saw, nor did I realize at the moment I watched, that people were in those buildings and a great amount of people were losing and going to lose their lives. People were jumping for fear their lives were already gone. I..was..numb.
I quickly called and told Brad and was glued to the TV at work and watched the remainder of the events unfold thru the morning. Our business continued as usual but the phone did not ring and people did not come in, it was almost eery how quiet our world became.
10 years later I sat snuggled with our two baby's on the couch today and watched on TV the ceremony at Ground Zero. I was trying to explain to them why we were watching this this morning and not Disney like usual. We sat and each child gripped my hands and we watched for nearly 3 hours the Remembrance of 9/11. My eyes swelled up with tears and Dylan would look at me and say, 'Mommy, why are you crying.' I would try my best to explain to my dear 4 year old the tragic events that happened that day. Not sure how much he understood but he sure absorbed the entire thing. My Mom called later in the day and he said, 'Grammy, today we need to remember and pray for the people who were really really hurt in the attack Grammy.' At that moment he handed me the phone and I explained to her that he was talking of today, 9/11. So he did fully understand what i was telling him and that purely melted my heart.
I was able to sit and hold my children close today, a feeling that those who lost their lives that day no longer are able to do. Children have grown up with out a parent or parents because of the attack on our country that day, and as a parent it purely breaks my heart. My heart sank today listening to the children speak of their parents who were lost, how the children have grown, some into young adults now, without that parent around some without the parent that they never even knew. The husbands and wives who lost their spouse that day and went on to raise these children on their own. My...heart...sank for them, tears rolled down my face, and I hugged my wee ones & hubby a little tighter today.










 All of the babies born to widows after 9/11...breaks my heart.

10 years later, America remembers and we will never forget. I will educate our children to never forget as well. Never forgotten. Forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment