Sunday, May 6, 2012

Spring Getaway!

We have returned home from our much needed week long vacation to Arizona! This trip was special in so many ways and it went by way too fast! The kids and I headed off a week ago last Wednesday. The flight there was a bit challenging, it was a 9:10pm departure and we had all had a full day. After what seemed like an eternity we boarded the plane, myself and two kids in tow. The kids ended up falling asleep which was awesome and Dylan especially slept the whole trip. Danielle would just get snuggled on my lap and the flight attendants would make me return her to her seat, SO incredibly frustrating especially because many of them thought she was a lap child in the first place! AH! But we made it and my Mom was waiting for us with open arms! We got settled into our hotel and hit the hay just a little after midnight. Dylan opted the entire trip to sleep in the crib, hilarious but I just went with it. Danielle snuggled in with me = she was a bit SPOILED this trip, but it really was very much needed!
Thursday Mom headed for the clinic and the morning was a bit dreary. This allowed for the kids to catch up on some sleep by taking a 3 hour nap and I got some relaxation in which I desperately needed. Looking out and seeing the Palm trees was all I needed to be able to take a deep breath in and realize that I was in a place that was nothing short of paradise!
Mom returned while we were at the pool. She took a little siesta and the kids enjoyed some afternoon sunshine, one thing all of us were craving! Late afternoon we got cleaned up and took full advantage of Old Town Scottsdale being right across the street from our hotel. Mom and I love Old Town, it offers so much, not only for shops and restaurants but character too! It was a perfect next couple of days relaxing, catching some sun and browsing Old Town every chance we got!






  





Friday Mom was scheduled for a CT scan. The morning started by her having to drink an enormous amount of Barium first. She felt off just a few minutes after finishing her first round, but shrugged it off and went about her morning. I got a text from her a few minutes after 11 as we were sitting at the pool, she was sick, VERY sick. She was vomiting uncontrollably and had pulled over the side of the road and thought she was going to pass out. 20 minutes went by and I was unable to contact her via phone, in a panic because I did not have a car I called the Clinic hoping Dr could trace her track since he had been at the CT with her. With much relief I found out she had managed to drive herself another 3 miles to the clinic and they had her under safe keeping. At this point I was even more so glad I was in Arizona with her. Feeling a bit guilty that we were by the pool as she was hooked up to IV's and getting shots for vomiting and nausea, my kids reminded me that Grammy would want nothing less for us.
She made it thru the day and shortly after 4pm we welcomed her. We decided to stay another night as our checkout time had came and went and none of us felt like moving at that point. Another evening in Old Town worked out so nice! We got some fresh air and simply enjoyed the beauty around us all while mostly enjoying each others company. Perfect medicine!!!
Dylan became an ice cream lover during this trip! 2 visits for homemade ice cream at a vintage cone shop that my parents use to frequent years ago on their trips to AZ. YUM!
  My little sun kissed beauty became an ice cream lover too! Shhush...don't tell her daddy ;-)

Saturday we woke all feeling great, rested and packed up ready to head to the condo! First stop was a friend of Mom's place in Chandler that she had stayed at the previous 2 weeks of her stay. We checked in on the house and puppy and enjoyed their pool for the afternoon as the homeowner was in CA for the day. That area nestled in the foothills is breathtaking, we cozied in and let the relaxation continue!




  As you can see it didn't take Dylan long to make himself at home, and Spiral the puppy, well she didn't let Dylan out of her sight!
We then checked into our home away from home. Mom's timeshare at the Scottsdale Links, a place that is very much like home to us as we've visited at least one time per year for the past 6 years. Dylan even said he remembered it, and with his quick wit and memory I am sure he did! It felt good to be settled in such familiar territory and it didn't take long for us to journey to their pool also! After all sunshine = Vitamin D which does us much good!




We took Mom out for a nice dinner at our most favorite Mexican Restaurant in Scottsdale, Ajo Al's. It is always a 'must' stop during our visits to the Valley. We all spoiled ourselves this night! We had a lot to celebrate, being together several miles away from our homes, supporting each other and Mom's Birthday as well. Birthday's are very special!



Sunday we awoke, got cleaned up and headed off to a Healing Church service at a church Mom had heard about just on Friday from a lady whom she met at the clinic. Neither of us had ever been to a service of this type and were so anxious to see what it entailed. We were told to arrive early, as we did. We pulled into a residential type neighborhood at the base of Camelback mountain, WOW, was it beautiful. We parked at the gates and headed in.




The property was just beautiful, a beautiful home surrounded by lush gardens and small chapel and tenant home buildings. Mom headed to the 'Little Chapel' and the kids and I headed to the 'over flow' room which was a home with a TV for us to watch the service. The Service was the biggest they had seen, people came from thousands of miles away for Gods word thru this healing. It was amazing. While waiting I met a wonderful Mother named Michelle and her 11 year old daughter Destiny. They, like us, had never been there before and did not know what to expect. Soon the room filled with the over flow from the chapel. The service was just over 2 hours long and to feel the presence of God as we did on this day was pretty amazing. People from all walks of life, in sickness and some with good health, there for the word, his healing word.
I could see Mom on the big screen and watched her receive. At the end of the service everyone in the chapel and us in the overflow room stood and joined hands and sang together, 'Let there be Peace on Earth.' In the mean time the main deliver' came down and joined hands with Dylan and I to sing. After the song ended she asked who his Mother was and if he was there for a healing. I spoke up and said I was his proud mother, yet it was his sister who was there for the healing. Sarah put her hands on Danielle and spoke the word of God to her. As she did this I felt hands of people around the room place their hands upon me and Danielle putting their energy into us. It was the most unbelievable feeling of my whole entire life. It was amazing. I wept like a baby and snuggled her in close, all while Sarah's hands were upon our daughter. At the end Sarah said, 'Amen' and Danielle looked up at her and had the biggest smile on her face that I have ever seen, right into Sarah's eyes, it was amazing. I cannot explain it any other way, thru the lady in yellow, most dearest Sarah, I felt the presence of God today.
Being with my Mom for the week and the kids being able to love on their Grammy was the most important week I have had in a long time. We needed to be there for her. Days when she felt crummy, days of frustration, days of relaxation we shared with each other, days of laughter and days of tears, we were together during this time and I am forever grateful. We soaked up these 7 days together and as the time neared to an end, we could easily have used 7 more.
  Dylan met some cute little friends while we lounged pool side. This little Addison and him had a ball a few days in a row. So cute to see his little social side come out away from home!

  A view I loved.... seeing the mountains from the pool daily was so beautiful!
  Can you tell how much our little doll loved the sun and fun?!!!

  Loving time with their Grammy!!

   Daily smoothie time with Grammy, Dylan loved the green smoothies so much we are now making them at home! That is one thing making this mama very happy! Doses of veggie and fruit deliciousness into one cool summer drink!
One afternoon we found the train station that we had visited during our last visit to the Valley at Christmas a few years ago. It is the most perfect little train park and of course the kids loved the train rides. It was a perfect place to be at sunset, beautiful and a great afternoon round out!








So aside of being kissed by the sun a tad bit more than usual, I will welcome the tan and hope it sticks around for a few weeks at least? Until our Iowa weather holds out and summer arrives!!.....

 I noticed on this 7 day stint something began to form more than I ever had noticed before.....The bond between these two siblings, it grew 100 times more than it had been. Here was when I first noticed it, never has this happened before, our 2 kiddo's napping together in the same bed at the same time.
 And a short time later holding of hands, which became something that I noticed daily. When Dylan was near Danielle would reach for his hand in a quick manner and her big brother certainly would accept and not pull back.
 This sweet little peanut falling asleep pool side.....
 Turned into this just moments later. Melt...my...heart!
I am not sure what sparked the instantaneous bond or had I missed moments like this before? I had seen them at home several times over the past 6-8 months but this trip it was so much more. Danielle talking back to Dylan, Dylan recognizing her saying, 'hi', holding hands, the nurture of big brother for Danielle, wanting to play together in the pool. It was precious and I am so happy that I took full notice to moments like this.
Our trip home was very sad. It was hard leaving my Mom on a day when she felt really really crappy. I even questioned if I should extend my stay another day. It was very hard to leave period, especially knowing she wasn't feeling 100 %. Thankfully as the morning went on she started to come around. The trip home was a nightmare as far as flights go. The kids were good but I felt challenged for the first time ever, as a Mom choosing to fly alone with 2 small children. The flight attendants were less than accommodating, and just as we are settled and heading full speed on the runway....the plane brakes come on, people start screaming and the plane comes to a screeching halt. Not knowing what in the heck just happened I was thankful we were ok! The pilot comes on and says the plane just hit a coyote on the runway. Ok, seriously?! UGH! This meant heading back to the gate to cool the planes brakes, then that didn't work and it meant getting a new plane and heading into the terminal until that plane was ready. They would not give me my stroller so it was me carrying Danielle in her infant seat, a backpack that was too heavy for Dylan, a diaper bag, my laptop and purse all on my sun burnt shoulder. I was BEAT! 1 hr and 15 minutes later I finally was boarding our new plane with my kids and bags in tow, flopped into the seat and the challenge continued. Danielle peed thru her diaper, then proceeded to have 2 stinky diapers, no extra clothes in the diaper bag and a wet car seat. Serious. Now what do I do, sit back and laugh because that's all I can do. We made it home safe and sound and had just spent the most fabulous week with my Mom and the kids Grammy, nothing was going to ruin that or those memories, nothing!
We have reflected and I have had to answer those hard questions, 'Mommy, when will we get to go to Arizona again, Mommy, when will we get to see Grammy again.' Those are tough questions, and my answer, 'soon, little buddy, very soon.' We cannot wait until our next visit, our next days of fun! Only one part about the 7 days that was a complete bummer.....that we didn't have Daddy with us. We missed him dearly and all snuggled in his arms when we arrived home. But the 7 days of fun we had are forever in our memory books.
 I love you Mom and miss you dearly!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment