Dylan makes himself right at home, he knows where the toys are and he knows that Great Grandma always has some goodies ready for him too! We visited for hours and listened to Grandma reminisce of the days when her husband was still alive. I am very proud to have known him for just a year and a half before he passed away. Brad sat in his Grandpa's old chair and read Dylan a book. Grandma kept saying, 'oh the story's Earl would be telling Dylan if he were still alive, he would pick up a book, put a child on his lap, turn the pages and make up his own story not even reading one line out of the book, but them kids didn't know any better.' We got a good chuckle out of that one! It did bring a tear to her eye and that melted my heart. Oh how she misses him so and how she wishes that Dylan would have known his Great Grandpa Holub too.
Dylan colored a little chick for Great Grandma and went outside and played ball, then down to the basement and played pool and stopped for a few snacks and what he really loved is Grandma's homemade Salsa...yum! She set out the spicy version not knowing if Dylan would like the spice....but he did, he scarfed down half of the bowl! Nothing like Grandma's cookin!!
We even took a trip down memory lane and she showed us some pictures of her family when she was a little girl and had us try and guess which one was her...?!
She was the youngest, so the littlest one in the picture. Dylan sure got a kick out of that, seeing Grandma when she was a little girl! And funny enough we decided that Brad's cousin Kenzie, she looks a LOT like Great Grandma when she was a little girl!!! Too cute!We had a fantastic day and loved taking the trip down memory lane. These are moments that you don't get back and we cherish every second of them when they come along. We can't wait for our next visit to see Great Grandma Holub!
Last weekend I took a trip to PA to see my Mom, sister and PA family! I took a Thursday afternoon flight and arrived in Allentown at 11 that night. My sister had NO idea I was coming and boy was she in for a surprise! My cousin RaeAnn picked me up at the airport and earlier that day had called and told Britni that RaeAnn's brother Clay was flying in and asked if Britni would like to ride along to pick him up. She said sure, and boy was she in for a surprise!!!! My Mom nearly slipped up when Rae Ann picked up Britni, but thankfully Britni is use to my Mom messing us kids names up all the time and thought nothing of it!
I arrived in Allentown and got my camera ready to catch her reaction. This is what I got, she shrieked and said, 'OMG is that Amber?! What is my sister doing here? Is that really Ambe?' It was priceless, we all hugged and shed lots and lots of tears, happy tears of course!!!!!
What a beautiful afternoon 30,000 feet up!
SURPRISE!!!!!!
We had a fun car ride back to my Mom's house and arrived just after midnight! We laughed and carried on, us girls get the giggles and just can't stop! That was just exactly what I needed!
The next morning I headed off with my Uncle at 5 am to Manheim PA to pick up an Auction car my work bought that I was driving back to Iowa. Know one from my work had ever been to this auction and only gave me what they had 'heard' to look for. Well this is the biggest auction in the U.S and according to them I was in for a big surprise. Well the first big surprise was the amount of cars there were. I describe it as....in Iowa we look out and see a sea of corn in the fields as far as we can see, well this place was a sea of cars as far as my eyes could see, it was incredible! There was a tall 10ft security fence around acres and acres of cars and cops everywhere not letting just anyone thru the gates. It was incredible!
This is not even a quarter of what I saw. I have never seen anything like it!
Thank you Toyota for being so safe and reliable on the road!
thru the mountains and Amish towns and lots of windy roads. The scenery is beautiful!
The remainder of the weekend was spent with family. My Mom was doing a special 65 hour treatment under her infrared heat dome and I was there to wait on her and get her whatever she needed as she could only get up to use the bathroom and for a quick 20 minute bath on Saturday. So, from Thursday night until Sunday at Noon she was under her dome. You can read more about her 'dome' treatment here on her blog..... www.speaklifetome.blogspot.com
I was so happy I could be there for her helping keep her sane, taking care of her and just talking about life, laughing, crying and enjoying each other. There is no time like family time and this trip was one that will forever be in my memory. We spent the majority of the day hours upstairs in the spare room which overlooks the town. Their home sits way up on the mountain hill and the scenery is gorgeous. We opened the windows and let the fresh air in.
Day 1....
Day 2....
The amazing view from my Mom's home.
Opps!!!! Juicing is very important for my Mom and her strict Vegan diet. It is amazing how many carrots it actually takes for just 2 days of juice! The plastic container on the counter we needed to fill up and it took over 2 big bags of Organic Carrots just to fill that up! Well when my sister and I tackle a task like this, of course we make a mess, big mess! The pulp fills up fast so you have to dump it before you can continue on, well.... epic fail on my part! I pulled out the bin and carrot pulp went everywhere!!! Literally all over the floor, walls, toaster, you name it and there was carrot on it! We literally just get it cleaned up and Tom walked in the door, hee hee! Just in time. Then we thought we got it cleaned up and nope, somehow we missed a spec and Faith the cat thought she would have a taste and threw up all over the floor. Opps, sorry Faithy!Day 3.... the kitty does NOT ever leave Mom's side :-)
We were so proud of Mom for doing this that we thought she needed a little sunshine! The very moment that her 65 hour timer went off signaling that she was done Britni brought in these beautiful flowers and card from all of us kids! We LOVE you so much Mom and are SO proud of you!!! We will always Believe!
While Mom was under her dome I helped out with my Grandpa for her as well. Grandpa had no idea that I was coming in town and when I showed up on Saturday morning to take him to dialysis he was shocked and had the biggest smile on his face!!!! It was SO precious and he looks amazing compared to when I saw him last year! I had some great visits with him and some wonderful, memorable conversations as well. He is very very concerned about my Mom and told me several times that he would give his life to save hers. That melted my heart and although was very hard to hear, I get it. He as a parent is feeling he has lived a long wonderful 85 years of life and would more than willing give his to keep Mom around for another 30 years. He is one amazing man and my Mom often says that my Grandfathers love is and always has been unconditional. He is truly an amazing man and such a wonderful father and Grandfather. We are so lucky to have him!
I enjoyed sitting in the room of his new assisted living home and listen to him tell my sister and I stories of when he was a child. As Brad's Grandma had done a few weeks prior he shared pictures with us of him at the age of 18 when he was in the Service, and shared another picture of when he was just 11. I loved listening to him tell us of what his life was like back then. Living thru a lifetime of memories is what it is all about. I am so thankful I was able to have these wonderful conversations with my Grandfather during my visit.
Grandpa Phillips, front right, age 18. On base in Maryland.
Grandpa John Edward Phillips, age 11.
I cannot describe the feeling I felt when I was in Pennsylvania for this visit. It was like a feeling I have never felt before, uplifting and many conversations were had that I will remember forever. I truly enjoyed being able to be of support for my mom and my sister too. Britni needed me more than I ever even knew. I slept with her every night, she cuddled with me like my children do, I was of support for her when she needed it and I am so thankful I was able to surprise her as well.
There are words to a song that go something like this....'Some times in our life we all have faith, we all have sorrow, but if we are wise we know that there's always tomorrow.' We are not all guaranteed that there will be a tomorrow, but if there is not than we shall have no regrets from today. That is the life that I want to live, live each day with no regrets. I fell that this year has started off a bit tough for us but we will get thru, we will continue to trudge thru and stay strong, we will not have any regrets from any day that has gone.
It was very hard to leave and make the trek home. I left at 4 am bright and early Monday morning. It was still very dark and my first 3 hours were thru the mountains which does make me a bit nervous. But I felt like I was not alone. I have never had this feeling before but I felt a great presence with me, guiding the car when I was leery. It was raining and misting for most of the dark morning, I would look down and see the temperature at about 32-34 degrees and began to get nervous about icy roads, but I kept on. I felt guided, I felt like it was going to be ok. Just when the sun began to come up I began to get sleepy so I decided to stop for a soda and breakfast burrito. Sure enough the very place I stopped was the very place I stopped with the kids, what a coincidence! I got back on the road, felt a little better and then my phone started ringing. I was on the phone with my family and a friend for the next 2 1/2 hours! WOW did that help the time fly by and I was wide awake after that! There is no doubt that God was guiding me that day and I am so thankful. I have the faith that he guides us thru and helps us to keep on keeping on when the going gets tough. I arrived home just before 3:30 that same Monday afternoon and was so anxious to snuggle with my hubby and kiddo's. We missed each other a lot but I am very thankful for the time I had with my PA family and so thankful I have such a supporting husband to take such wonderful care of our kids.
While I was gone, Friday the 30th, our angel Dalton turned 7 years old. How can it be 7 years already since we said goodbye? Wow, time surly has flown by. Friday night Brad kept our tradition for Dalton's Birthday, he took Dylan to pick out balloons and then went and placed them at the cemetery for Dalton. I am SO thankful that Brad did this as I felt terrible that I was not able to visit his resting spot on his birthday. Dylan very much knows who Dalton is and each time we visit him brings more questions about his big brother. Happy 7th Birthday Dalton James. I think of you every single day precious boy. Thank you for being our guardian angel and protecting your brother and sister. I love you little buddy and wish I could give you kisses and hugs.....I hope your birthday was filled with lots of love from heaven above.
Every day is a Memory and I want to live for each day making it a positive memory as much as I can. Life is sure a gift and I am very very thankful for the Memory's that were shared with us these past few weeks, they will be forever cherished.~


















No comments:
Post a Comment